When a loved one passes
When a loved one passes away, there are many difficult transitions to make. Taking care of legal matters may not be top of mind, but it is important to not let too much time pass before an attorney is consulted.
Initially, the following matters are considered:
1. Have the decedent’s funeral arrangements been properly followed through and the funeral bill paid?
2. Does an estate need to be "opened" in Surrogate's Court? If so, has the decedent left a Will? Are there multiple Wills?
3. Has various information been obtained in order to petition Surrogate's Court for the appointment of an estate representative, if necessary?
4. Have the decedent's assets been located?
5. Have the decedent's checkbooks and income tax returns been reviewed to help with determining assets?
6. Has all real property been searched with appropriate safeguards taken and insurance in place?
Eventually, other matters will be attended to, but, it is important to find an attorney you can work well with to guide you through the entire estate administration process. I'd like to be that person for you!